I was about to edit the tag summary for , but then realized it has two different meaning in context of aviation. One for helicopters, and another for fixed-wing aircraft.

Should one or the other get preference? Or should we really create two separate, but equal tags (e.g. and )?


Maybe it's just me, but I've actually never heard of the second use (for fixed wing aircraft).

I would suggest using for helicopters and for the fixed wing version. There won't be any confusion if the tag wikis are properly written.

If it is a more common term than I realize, the tag wikis could point to each other (in autorotation we could include a comment that says something like "if you are looking for fixed-wing autorotation (also known as a spin), see , and vice-versa.

  • 5
    $\begingroup$ I've never heard the second sense used either - I've always heard it described as an "incipient spin". $\endgroup$
    – voretaq7
    Jan 14 '14 at 3:49
  • 3
    $\begingroup$ I've heard it used, but it's pretty uncommon - and there are usually a lot of other terms used with it. $\endgroup$
    – egid
    Jan 14 '14 at 4:36
  • $\begingroup$ And here I thought "autorotation" in the context of fixed-wing aircraft meant an aircraft with an excessively-aft CoM spontaneously rotating during takeoff. $\endgroup$
    – Vikki
    Apr 25 '19 at 3:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .