We regularly see questions asking for people to identify a certain feature on an aircraft and they're normally tagged aircraft design.

Should we have a dedicated tag for these kinds of questions?


What is this on the starboard engine of the Dash 8?
What is this ring-shaped device behind this DC-8's jet engine?
What exactly are those openings in the bellies of many jetliners?
What is this protrusion on the door?
What is this nose cowl mounted display?
What is the function of the protruding outlet on the Trent XWB?

  • 3
    $\begingroup$ agreed (comment now not short) $\endgroup$
    – ymb1
    May 25 '17 at 11:41
  • $\begingroup$ See my answer here for some thoughts. If you think a tag is useful then you're always welcome to add it, but that's no guarantee that others will also use it. $\endgroup$
    – Pondlife
    May 25 '17 at 13:11
  • $\begingroup$ @Pondlife any suggestions for a name for such a tag? $\endgroup$ May 25 '17 at 13:20
  • $\begingroup$ @ymb1 any suggestions for a name? $\endgroup$ May 25 '17 at 13:21
  • 1
    $\begingroup$ Something like "what-is-this" might be discoverable but not sure if it would be a "proper" tag. $\endgroup$
    – fooot Mod
    May 25 '17 at 15:22
  • 2
    $\begingroup$ @Notts90 - I suggest feature- or part-identification. $\endgroup$
    – ymb1
    May 25 '17 at 20:37

I agree a tag would be useful. Although I doubt anyone asking the question will use the tag - it will likely have to be re-tagged by someone in the community.

I suggest "feature-identification" - "For questions about identifying a feature or design on an aircraft".

  • $\begingroup$ People asking the question are not too likely to reach for it on their own, true. However, if the tag entry box were to suggest it for all questions that started with "What is..."... $\endgroup$
    – E.P.
    Jun 4 '17 at 16:21

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .