There are quite a lot of questions that bring up an idea for improving the safety of commercial aviation, and ask why the idea is not implemented.
These questions tend to have similar answers: namely, that commercial aviation is already safe enough, and implementing the idea would provide a minuscule safety benefit (or would even make things worse) at significant expense.
Should we have a tag for all of these questions? Perhaps we could use safety-idea.
These questions include:
- Why are commercial flights not equipped with parachutes for the passengers?
- Why don't commercial jet aircraft have a break-apart, parachute escape system?
- Why not just drop an engine on fire?
- Why not increase the number of Flight Data Recorders and add jettisoning capability?
- Why don't airliners carry radar jamming technology or missile counter measures?
- What reasons exist for not designing airplanes with breakaway wings for crash safety?
- Why don't big commercial planes have full aircraft parachutes?
- Why don't commercial aircraft adopt a slightly more seaplane-like design to allow safer ditching in case of emergency?
- Why are movable rocket thrusters not used in airplanes?
- Could ejector seats save lives in commercial aircraft?